Monday, August 11, 2008

Clutter me dearly

The living room looks like a public library - the centrepiece being a beige filing cabinet, circa 1978. "These are graveyards for paper," Law says, opening one of the drawers stuffed with tax returns, electricity bills and group certificates dating back 10 years. It is known as a "fat" filing cabinet in professional decluttering jargon. "This is among the worst I've seen," she says.
from this Sydney Morning article on clutter in the home and it's flow-on effects to our anxiety.

I'm disturbed 'cause now that i've dropped my belongings to about 1/10th of my stuff - i literally have about 3 baskets of clothes, a computer and a pile of rubble at DrP's house. Nothing! Not like a travelling nothing, but still, controlled stuff Some days I get anxious about how out of control the rubble seems to get..and it's only a bit of a minor scree slope and a coffee table spill. Or maybe I'm just anxious about what needs to be done with the spill - it's DrP's OCD following me about behaviour, him checking that i haven't left a trail of crumbs (or popcorn) from the kitchen to the couch. I recognise the filing cabinet in the article (a close friend used to own one, it was his thesis graveyard), and every time my mind flashes back to the clutter of the last house I shared with Marty, there's a little shiver of horror. Don't agree though about people not seeing one's house - if you really live in it, messy or not, people should be always welcome.

Hey R, regardless of quality - the point of blogging is to blog :)

Yet i still feel the urge to buy and collect stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment