Saturday, February 13, 2010

Hats on heads, no hats on beds.


hats on tables, originally uploaded by deepwarren.
I've started painting a bit more in the last few weeks. More because I brought a couple of canvas pads off ebay and discovered I really them. Painting on paper, is quick, minimal mess (well, for me) and it dries fast.

Using a lot of darmar varnish/turps and medium (about 1/3 each mix), to get a nice smooth drawing line. Trying too. it's a bit hit and miss, and I'm still overworking everything like there's no tomorrow.

About 7 years ago (pretty much the last time i did any painting, aside from some half-hearted attempts) I did a series of people wearing hats, and it's weird that I've ended up at the same place. Maybe it's just not quite finished yet.

And I'm trying to get large strokes. I just want to paint a big fuckoff painting for the lounge. It's harder to paint something like this than smaller for me. I think it's almost you have to embrace the loud brushstroke. And maybe that means a bigger paintbrush. More mess, I think. But needed, somehow. I've started on a little bundle of an old lady in her coat and hat. It's only 50x70cm, but if i can actually resolve that space, then I can go larger. Somewhere she's gone from dark to gradually lightening up, but trying to go too high-key. But she is wearing the very practical world of a hat and coat, while somehow has the air of being rather old fashioned. Will post pix of the work in progress at the end of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment